I mentioned in my "Beauty Tips" post, that I pray for my girls to know about True Beauty. Since Christmas will be here in just a few weeks, I thought I'd take a moment and share an inexpensive homemade gift idea that can help encourage the little girls in your life to remember that they are beautiful (with or WITHOUT fashionable accessories:)
I made this one for my girls last Christmas and spent about $10 or less on materials. (I did have a super good coupon to use at the craft store when I bought the materials though!)
Here's what you'll need...
-an inexpensive, unfinished wooden plaque (whatever size or shape you like...I was making mine for two, so I went BIG!)
-4 ribbons (1 cm wide) each measuring 15 inches in length
-5 ribbons (2 cm wide) each measuring 13 inches in length
-acrylic paint, paint brushes and an acrylic paint pen
-a glue gun
-embellishments of your choice, such as the wooden photo frames that I used, or you could use other wooden items (flowers, animals, etc.) or stencils or rub on decals...so many choices..get creative with it:)
General idea of putting it together:
1. Paint base color on plaque. Set aside to dry.
2. While paint dries, cut ribbon to desired lengths. Take two of the ribbons (the ones that will be placed at each end) and on each of those ribbons, make a loop (at whichever end will be at the bottom) big enough to wrap around two fingers and glue with glue gun. The loops are to hold headbands, just slide them through the loop.
3. Use glue gun to glue embellishments on plaque.
4. Paint the Scripture (Psalm 45:11) on the plaque and let dry. If you are making a smaller plaque, you could choose a different verse or even just use the child's name. **If you are nervous about doing it freehand-- I chose a font that I liked in a WP document and printed it out on my computer in the appropriate size. Then I laid the paper down on the plaque and used the pointy end of the paint brush to trace over the letters. This made indentations that I used as a guide to paint the words.
5. Glue ribbons to the bottom edge of plaque with glue gun. Voila!
You can keep it simple or fancy it up as much as you want! I've seen fancier ones on Etsy for anywhere from $30 to $50 dollars!!! I tried to keep mine pretty simple, more affordable, and hopefully, made it extra encouraging for my girls by adding an important message from God's Word:)
Anyone have any other easy, inexpensive gift ideas? It doesn't have to be crafty. Leave a comment and share some of your ideas.
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
Pavlova - Flash Back Friday
1 day ago