Sunday, May 23, 2010

A little bundle of promise wrapped with a pink bow...


Monday. The first day of a new week. A chance to start off on the right foot. Some people don't like Mondays but after being refreshed and recharged on "church day", as my kiddos call it, I often have new perspective on Monday. Especially if I was able to sneak in a little nap the day before:)

Our weekend was a very full one, but full of the very best kinds of things. A chance to serve others, a 1st birthday party for my niece, and a graduation party. It's interesting how the combination of the birthday party and graduation party can turn me into a sentimental mess.

Two celebrations. One celebrating the firsts of everything and the other celebrating the lasts. Both take me on a walk down memory lane... I remember when I got the call that my niece was born. I had been awaiting the news and knew I would be hearing something soon. I could hardly bear the anticipation. So much excitement for my brother and sister-in-law. Excitement because I know that feeling...the feeling of holding your first born child. The excitement of becoming a mom and dad. The unbelievable knowledge that you helped God create a miracle. I was excited for my brother and sister-in-law on so many levels. Knowing the love, that would make them feel as if their hearts would bust, was just beginning. And the indescribable joy that would accompany the first smile, first step, first word. I was filled with so much excitement for them, I could hardly bear it. And instead of being there, I was far away, yearning to see the teeny, tiny hands and feet of that precious baby girl. I had to go, the sooner the better. But who can make a trip to welcome a newborn baby without rushing to Target to buy gender appropriate clothing first? Not us Shoes. Only AFTER a quick trip to Target (with preschoolers in tow), and securing child-care for my little love bugs, I would be able to make the trip. But then, there was that small little detail of four very excited little cousins that would not be able to tag along. They, too, had been anticipating the call. Anxiously awaiting to hear if it would be a new boy or girl cousin. I promised I'd take pictures. That satisfied them for a little while.

I did finally get to hold her at the hospital and she was so sweet, and tiny, and precious. Like a little bundle of promise wrapped up with a pink bow. And this week, she turns one. Where does the time go? She's developing her own little personality. Her uniqueness is just beginning to show itself. She's not a "baby" anymore. I love her. We all do. Happy Birthday, Annabell! We look forward to seeing the little lady that you become.

And well, as far as the graduation thing is concerned, my "baby" sister graduates in less than two weeks and I'm sure there will be an upcoming post about that. Right now, I can't write about it because maybe, just maybe, if I pretend like it's not happening, she'll just stay a kid forever. Maybe she won't graduate and become a grown-up and live on her own and become a nurse and end up getting married and have a baby. Well, I guess that wouldn't be so bad...you know I love a newborn baby.

1 comment:

  1. Unbelievable! I cannot believe Jackie is graduating!!! Where will she be going to school? Can't wait to read more about this!

    ReplyDelete