Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Where's The Beef?

I've been re-assessing the way I do grocery shopping and meal planning. Feeding a family of seven is not an easy task, especially when trying to be frugal and save as much money in that area of the "budget" as possible.

So after reading much and talking to a dear friend of mine about what they do to feed their large family...I decided to go "meatless" for one to two suppers each week, in an effort to lower our grocery bill AND reap the health benefits:)

My dear husband is a real meat and potato kinda guy and really enjoys a good slab of meat on his plate after a hard day at work. So it's a big adjustment for him. Here's an example of his not-so-subtle, yet kinda cute, hint that he's still getting used to the idea...

Last week I made Cheese Tortellini Bean Soup. It was good but I got the recipe from an email from Family Fun magazine and it was kid-friendly (which = mild flavor). So the conversation went something like this...

Me: "I don't know. It was pretty good but I think it's missing something."

Hubby: "Yep, the meat."

Me: "No, you know, it's just missing a little something."

Hubby: "Yep, it's missing the meat."

Bless his heart. He just eats what I fix, without too much complaining. But I know that this is a little hard for him to get used to, what with him being such a carnivore and all. All in all, I know he just appreciates the fact that there is a meal on the table for him. So I'll take a little joking about our new menu...for now:)

"He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD." -Deuteronomy 8:3

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! Feeding a family of 7 is not easy...as we are learning. :) And clothing them....
    But we are oh so blessed to be a family of 7!
    Your convo had me laughing. :)

    Love and blessings,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete